Dr Rod Pattenden is an artist, art historian, and educational facilitator interested in the connection between spirituality and the arts. He has written and lectured widely on these aspects of the arts and creativity in Australia and overseas.
He was Co-ordinator of the Institute for Theology and the Arts, and is currently chairperson of the Blake Prize for Religious Art as well as Co-Creative Director of InterPlay Australia.
He has particular strengths in the areas of the visual arts, performance skills, movement and exploring the processes of creativity. Rod has a BA Visual Arts (arts practice), M Phil (art history), M Theol (hons), PHD and a Dip Ed.
As an artist he has been involved in a wide variety of community projects including management roles, artists in residence and creative facilitation of events. He has initiated a number of community arts projects that have enhanced community building and healthy cultural diversity.
He has written widely on the arts, contributing to key publications on the work of a number of leading Australian artists as well as developing a number of innovative exhibitions and installation projects.
He has also been involved as a consultant to business and community organisations in the area of innovation, change and leadership development.
Cut 'InterPlay' paper banner
A commission to decorate the InterPlay dance space in San Francisco – two figures intertwined with energetic grace as the paper cut process leads the eye around in ever spiralling energy.
Blake Prize 2011 Overview
Overview of the 2011 Blake Prize, presented by Rod Pattenden, Chair of the Blake Society
Australian Art Review:
- Art at the End of the World
(Hill End artists) Australian Art Review, March 2006
- Thousands of Miles of Silence: The Fowlers Gap Artist-in
Australian Art Review, November 2005
- Fan Dongwang - Post China Pop
- Big Tease
(Rosemary Valadon), Australian Art Review Issue 7, March 2005
- George Gittoes - Peace Be With You
Australian Art Review
Macquarie University / Scan Magazine:
- George Gittoes: A Scavenger for Meaning
Scan, September 2004
- Culture is Difference: The Art of Fan Dongwang
Scan, February 2005
Other published work :
- Community Arts essay in Encyclopadia of Christianity
Oxford University, ISBN 0-19-522393-4
- Hope and Apocalypse: The Art of George Gittoes
Image Journal, issue 39, p73ff
- Religion, an unfamiliar art
Art & Australia, Vol 37 No 3, March 2000, p. 414-421
- The Religious Art of Andy Warhol
Zadok Perspectives Issue 65, Spring 1999
- What is Christian Art?
Madonna Magazine, March-April, 2005
- When Dreaming I am most Awake: The work of Paul Miller
- Towards a Sensual theology
'The Month', U.K., July 1999
- Bliss, Blasphemy and Belief: An Australian Case Study in
Tensions between Religious Tradition and Contemporary Art
published in 'ARTS: The Arts in Religious and Theological Studies', Issue 23.1, 2011 - (Rod explores the issues surrounding the Blake Prize controversy in 2007)
- Incarnations Catalogue - A major series of six art installations at the Paddington Uniting Church curated by Rod Pattenden. Artists included Tim Johnson, My Le Thi, Noelene Lucas, John Adair, Marion Borgelt, Janet Laurence and Martin Sims.
- In the Age of Terrorism. An Artist, A Curator and a Spirituality of Hope Eremos, November 2004
- Art and the Horizon of Meaning
Eremos No.85, November 2003
- In Bed with the Lights On. The Whispering of God Talk in Public Places, Eremos No.80, August 2002
- I Love Being Lifted, August 2006
- The Erotic Life of God, August 2004
InterPlay explores the wisdom of the body through simple body movement techniques that help reconnect a sense of personal wholeness. Play, movement, expression and collaboration are key concepts explored through InterPlay techniques.
Read more about InterPlay at the InterPlay Australia website
PO Box 931,
Marrickville NSW 1475
0418 861 267